Polaris Saves Thousands with RAIN RFID Automated Manufacturing Solutions
Vehicle manufacturer Polaris optimized production through a RAIN RFID solution that saved them more than $200,000 per year.
RAIN RFID automated asset tracking solutions simplifies costly manufacturing process
As one of world’s largest powersports companies, Polaris needed to make sure their production line was as efficient and accurate as possible to meet the growing demand from their adventure-loving customers. They turned to a RAIN RFID solution to automate the manual checks used to validate the count and accuracy of assembly materials moving through the production line. With the new solution, Polaris was able to:
- Increased vision inspection accuracy by 30%
- Eliminate manual production identification process, saving over $200,000 per year
- Decrease inventory management equipment costs by over 40%
Automated RAIN RFID assset management removes costly manual process for Polaris plant
Polaris, a major manufacturer of powersports equipment such as snowmobiles and motorcycles, found that its employees were spending valuable time on checks during production. Employees were manually scanning and photographing the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) barcodes of each vehicle/product as it was carried by Automated Guided Vehicles (AGV) through each station on the assembly line. This process—meant to ensure that all the necessary processes, such as coolant filling or heat plate installation, were completed—left the company open to human error.
Manual scans of the VIN barcodes ran the risk of missed scans which would then require manual process verification or offline product rework after products had gone through the assembly line. These small errors could potentially cost the company thousands in operational inefficiencies. Polaris turned to a RAIN RFID solution to address this. Developed by Impinj and Atlas RFID, the RAIN RFID solution supports Polaris' sophisticated manufacturing line by accurately identifying AGVs as they move parts through production. This allows Polaris to ensure key manufacturing processes are complete. Here’s how it works:
- RAIN RFID tags featuring Impinj Monza 4QT endpoint ICs are affixed to AGVs, which carry unique vehicle frames as they move through each stage of the assembly line.
- Up to five Impinj Speedway R420 readers are affixed at key points in the assembly line, automatically scanning each tag on the AGV associated to a vehicle frame VIN to ensure the processes at those stations were completed successfully.
- Production workers are notified at the end of the assembly line if a production step was missed.
- Article tagged as:
Monday, August 13, 2018
ABOUT THE CUSTOMER
Since their founding in 1954, Polaris has forged their own path, including launching the snowmobile industry and developing the first purpose-built military vehicles. By making high-quality, breakthrough products they are broadening the view of powersports and creating new ways to help people experience the outdoors to the fullest.
ABOUT THE PARTNER
Atlas RFID Store
We help people take their organizations to the next level by providing on-demand access to IoT, education, technology, and services.
Sign Up for the latest news