Automated checkouts let truck drivers refuel faster at Love's
Love's Travel Stops was in search of an integrated RAIN RFID system to provide cardless fueling for increased loyalty and security across their hundreds of US locations. With their RAIN RFID solution, Love's:
- Reduced the time drivers spent refueling at their locations
- Increased refueling process efficiency and security
- Reduced fuel theft
Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Profile:
Founded in 1964, Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores has more than 420 locations in 41 states. They provide professional drivers and motorists with access to clean, safe places to purchase gasoline and other goods 24 hours a day.
Impinj Solution Partner:
RAIN RFID automates refueling checkout for more efficient travel stops
Love’s Travel Stops are frequented by truck drivers, many of whom are repeat customers. Drivers fueling at Love’s typically use a fuel payment service such as Comdata, which provides fuel cards (much like MasterCard® and VISA®). To be authorized for fueling, a driver must first swipe a card and then enter a driver ID number and other key data elements in a keypad for the fuel purchase to be correctly billed.
If the driver makes a mistake in entering the numbers, the process must be repeated. If the card can’t be read, or if the keypad isn’t working correctly, the driver must go inside before beginning to fuel, which can be frustrating and time consuming. The “fuel card” process has also been susceptible to fuel theft by truckers, as one driver may authorize a pump for fueling, and then allow another driver to fill up his vehicle at the expense of the former driver’s company.
With help from QuikQ, a software development company dedicated to improving the trucking industry’s fuel transactions, Love's developed a smart solution that delivered a more secure, efficient way to refuel:
- A RAIN RFID enabled windshield tag featuring a Monza 4QT tag chip is installed in truck
- Tags are embedded with pertinent information, like driver and company data, and billing information
- Impinj Speedway readers, mounted in each fueling lane, read the windshield tags as truckers pull up to fuel pumps
- Readers capture tag data and transmit it over a secure network connection to the Love’s payment system for safer, simpler refueling
- Once payments are authorized, drivers can begin fueling; once allowed fuel limits are met, pumps automatically shut off
RAIN RFID benefits drivers and employers
- Reducing refuel time to increase drivers' time on the road
With new federal regulations, reducing the time spent waiting to refuel allows the driver to drive more miles in the allocated on-the-job time. This is achieved by removing the multiple card swipes, fewer driver prompts and automated processes of older systems. As a result, time in the fuel lane is reduced and the truck queue is smaller.
- Improved security and reduced fuel theft benefits employers
Previously, refueling stops ran the risk of drivers paying for trucks other than their own. With the use of RAIN RFID technology, carriers are assured the purchased fuel is for the intended truck. Through web portal access, carriers can monitor “real-time” truck purchases, including trends and statistics such as where, when, volume, etc. to ensure processes are optimized, and drivers are working efficiently.