Faurecia automates production processes with RAIN RFID
Since 2015, Faurecia has engaged in a strategic transformation of its operations, guided by Industry 4.0 principles. Part of this strategic transformation is the digital transformation of manufacturing operations that optimize Faurecia’s production lines using RAIN RFID. After Faurecia implemented the RAIN RFID solution in 12 of their plants, they found:
- Improved operations throughout multiple plants
- Increased efficiency in parts stocking
- Reduced manual tasks such as shipping, receiving, and transferring
- Increased customer satisfaction thanks to greater product traceability
Founded in 1997, Faurecia has grown to become a major player in the global automotive industry. With around 300 sites including 35 R&D centers and 122,000 employees in 37 countries, Faurecia is now a global leader in its four areas of business: Seating, Interiors, Clarion Electronics and Clean Mobility. Faurecia has focused its technology strategy on providing solutions for “Cockpit of the Future” and “Sustainable Mobility”. In 2018, the Group posted sales of €17.5billion.
Impinj Solution Partner
Automated manufacturing line reduces tracking costs
The automotive industry is undergoing a technology revolution and Faurecia is charting a course to transform their manufacturing and shipping operations. After evaluating other technologies, they found an easily deployable RAIN RFID solution that would optimize operations and provide real-time visibility of inventory-both key factors for improving customer satisfaction. By tagging items that enter the plant and implementing Impinj readers along the manufacturing line, they optimized their logistics process while eliminating redundant manual steps.
- Impinj Monza R6 tags are attached to each item as they are manufactured. Items that are tagged include bags, boxes, and finished products.
- Impinj xSpan readers are installed at key transition points such as manufacturing points and loading dock doors. Readers are configured to suit the space and regional wireless regulations.
- Items are read at transition points and then data is passed to Impinj ItemSense software to determine the direction of movement. Key information is then passed along to field operators.
Faurecia worked with Impinj and partner UBI Solutions to create a RAIN RFID solution that can now be deployed within one week at each new plant. With the success of existing deployments, Faurecia plans to expand its RAIN RFID project to additional plants and warehouses worldwide.
Faurecia's RAIN RFID solution increases plant efficiency, optimizing production and shipping
- Improved operations across multiple plants
After rolling out the RAIN RFID system across 12 of their manufacturing plants, Faurecia saw an improvement in their operations at all locations. With their new increased visibility, field workers had both a better understanding of the activities on the plant floor and the data needed to make informed decisions about future operations.
- Real-time inventory monitoring leads to more efficient parts stocking
Real-time monitoring of Faurecia’s inventory allows the company to maintain accurate stock levels at all times. This contributes to an overall increase in production efficiency, ensuring that the right parts are available for the right customers when needed.
- Reduced manual tasks load such as shipping, receiving, and transferring
Automating tasks such as shipping, receiving and transferring have reduced manual work. This reduction to proofing declaration on the line and in the shipping processes, ultimately optimizing the cost of operation.
- Increased customer satisfaction with fewer incorrect or lost orders
By automating tracking of their shipping and receiving operations, Faurecia ensures customer satisfaction with highly accurate information on stocked items and improved parts traceability.