What is RAIN RFID and Why is it so Useful?
Radio frequency identification (RFID) is a form of wireless communication that uses radio waves to identify and track objects. RFID is a generic term that encompasses different frequencies and standards which include both NFC and RAIN – two technologies which are supported by industry alliances.
RAIN RFID is a passive (battery-free) wireless technology system that connects billions of everyday items to the Internet, enabling businesses and consumers to identify, locate, authenticate and engage each item. RAIN RFID is used in a wide variety of applications, including inventory management, patient safety, asset tracking and item authentication. RAIN is the fastest growing segment of the RFID market and uses a single, global standard: UHF Gen 2 (ISO/IEC 18000-63). RAIN has connected over 20 billion items to date. By providing internet connectivity to and real time information about everyday items such as apparel, medical supplies, automobile parts, food and more, RAIN RFID enables the true Internet of Things.
RAIN RFID digitizes the physical world, allowing it to become an information system that can automatically sense what is happening, share related data, and respond. RAIN RFID provides the ability to:
- Uniquely identify an individual item beyond just its product type
- Identify and locate items without direct line-of-sight
- Identify many items quickly (up to 1,000 items per second)
- Locate items within a vicinity of between a few centimeters to several meters
- Connect real-time information about an item’s identity, location or authenticity to the cloud
RAIN RFID can identify and locate up to 1,000 individual items per second
Why Use RAIN RFID?
RAIN RFID has the capacity to both greatly enhance and protect the lives of consumers, while revolutionizing the way companies do business. It is a flexible, low-cost solution, making its use appealing to a wide range of industries—from retail to healthcare, manufacturing, entertainment and hospitality.
RAIN RFID can tell you what an object is, where it is, and even its condition. With this information, businesses around the world are able to increase sales, drive operational efficiencies, and improve customer experience.
Solutions range from supply chain management to asset tracking to authentication of frequently counterfeited pharmaceuticals. Applications are limited, in fact, only by the imagination of the user.
RAIN RFID helps:
- Automate inventory and asset-tracking in healthcare, manufacturing, retail, and business sectors
- Identify the source of products, enabling intelligent recall of defective or dangerous items, such as tainted foods, defective toys, and expired or compromised medication
- Prevent use of counterfeit products in the supply chain
- Improve shopping experience for consumers, with fewer out-of-stock items and easier returns
- Provide visibility into the supply chain, yielding a more efficient distribution channel and reduced business costs
- Decrease business revenue lost to theft or inaccurate accounting of goods
- Improve civilian security through better cargo monitoring at ports
- Wirelessly lock, unlock and configure electronic devices
- Enable access control of certain areas or devices
Visit our solutions to learn more about what RAIN RFID can do for your business.